I’ve got a tin ceiling! Well, about 1/10th of one—but you gotta start somewhere. Considering that this has been in progress in fits and starts between our 55 other house projects for more than a year now, I’m pretty impressed with the early returns.
There is a little bit more to do …
If you enjoy nailing over your head, this is the project for you!
You may notice in the pics that it appears we aren’t following our chalk lines, or maybe that there are actually two sets of chalk lines. We ended up doing that because when we were about to cut out our first corner piece on Friday, I got nervous and insisted we snap a 2-foot grid all over the ceiling to make sure we would line up the 2×4 tiles correctly. Well, it turns out that was a useful bit of angst because our walls are not only out of square but wildly, creatively, rebelliously out of square. Our first set of lines, made by finding the center of the room and then dropping grids based on the longest, straightest wall, would have left us with ridiculously uneven cut pieces on opposite walls—for example, the northeast corner piece would have been a depth of 5 inches, and the southeast piece 6 7/8; while the northwest corner would have been 6 inches, the southwest 7/8 of an inch. So we twisted the whole layout counterclockwise 1 1/4 inch and shifted the grid east 1 1/2 inch. Now the opposite corners and opposing wall cuts still won’t be equal, but they will be much less uneven.
So please don’t count days until we finish, but we are on our way!