I’ve now got a full tin ceiling in the living room! OK, so we still have to put up the cornice. And seal the seams, and paint the nailheads and miscellaneous (though amazingly few) dings and scratches. But still, the tin ceiling tiles that have been living in my back bedroom for the last 2 years—and the light fixture that has been hunkered down in a box under the stereo table—are now actually on the ceiling!
You can see some seams above that need tightening up. And we installed the light mostly to help in knowing which seams were going to jump out in the finished room. But as impressed as I am by all this, I’m a little irked that we failed in one aspect.
There’s a tiny amount of plywood visible around the light fixture! Argh! We were so careful in measuring and cutting the tin to fit around the electrical box—but not careful enough. I’m really rather surprised that these fixtures aren’t made with a generous circumference that is guaranteed to hide mistakes of this nature. Because we weren’t way off—just too far off. Grrrrr. We’ve got some ideas to camouflage this, but it’s just a little depressing right now. Sigh. Though it doesn’t stop me from being thrilled to see how well the ceiling and fixture go together. This room originally had a gas light, then a pull-chain electric bulb that was put out of commission by the drop-ceiling installation of the early 60s. It’s such a kick to be able to walk into the room and poke a push-button light switch and be bathed in luminescence.