With my kitchen table still covered with paper from the sash-painting project (also the razor there), I embarked upon a stuffed pumpkin project.
I had never made one before and found many variations on the recipe. What I finally did was, as usual, a mix of my research and my inclination. The final product turned out quite tasty, and I just want to note here what all I ended up putting in the stuffing: many mushrooms—crimini, shitake and forest nameko (pretty little shrooms I impulse-bought), hulled barley, onion, garlic, sweet peppers, butter-browned parsnips, dried cranberries, chestnuts, sunflower seeds, garbanzo beans, tamari and salt and pepper, fresh rosemary and oregano and thyme, hot paprika. I think that’s it. I ended up using very little barley, though I’m finding it to be quite delicious. I just wanted a greater proportion of veg to grain in the stuffing. Before roasting the pumpkin in the oven, I rubbed the inside with olive oil and dashed in some cinnamon, ginger and allspice.